Throughout the online course we will be introducing the topic of a “prayer closet” and the importance of spending time alone with the Lord in prayer, worship and reading your bible. We will be discussing the keys to a productive prayer closet much more in the online course. However, below I have listed a few things that have helped me the most throughout the years.
- Set a time
- Find a quiet place
- Worship Music
- Following the pattern of the tabernacle
- Expecting to hear from God and “trying” to be obedient to what He says
We will discuss these in much more detail in the online course. However, a journal is a great tool because the definition the Lord gave me for prayer was, “Prayer is an ongoing conversation with God that aligns your internal environment (soul), with your eternal environment (spirit), until your external environment (body) comes in line with what your Heavenly Father wants done in and through your life.” A journal is a great way to help us stay in a conversation with God by: Remembering what he said in the past, hearing what he is saying in the present and writing down words of correction, direction and encouragement about the future. Throughout the online course we will have an in-depth study on the pattern of the tabernacle God gave to Mosses and the significance it plays in the New Testament believer. Below I have listed the seven structures in the tabernacle, scriptures and horse training parables to help understand the seven structures and questions to ask the Lord as you go through the online course and daily seek the Lord in your prayer closet.
If you can try to break your prayer closet time into thirds: Spend 1/3 of your time watching course videos or reading course writings. Spend 1/3 of your time opening up your bible and looking up the scripture that jumped out from the course material (journal what God speaks to you personally through the scriptures). Spend 1/3 of your time turning on some praise and worship music, closing your eyes and turning your heart to Jesus. Thank Him for the truth He has shown you through scripture and ask Him to continue to speak to you and allow the Holy Spirit to draw you deeper into His Presence. At the end of your last 1/3 be sure to write in your journal anything that you feel the Lord may be speaking to you and be sure to pick up the next day where you left off with the Lord. To summarize: 1/3 learning course material, 1/3 reading bible and journaling, 1/3 praying, worshiping and seeking God w/ your eyes closed.
Gate (Ears/ Truth/ Repentance)– Hear “Good News”: Preaching of the Gospel of the Kingdom of Heaven. 4 Stages: Message through to the feet. Repent/ Turn and Face.
- “Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word” (Romans 10:17).
- “Then Phillip ran up to the chariot and heard the man reading Isaiah the Prophet ‘Do you understand what you are reading?’ Philip asked. ‘How can I,’ He said, ‘unless someone explains it to me?’ So, he invited Phillip to come up and sit with him” (Acts 8:30-31).
- John answered and said, “A man can receive nothing unless it has been given to him from heaven. You yourselves bear me witness, that I said, ‘I am not the Christ,’ but, ‘I have been sent before Him.’ He who has the bride is the bridegroom; but the friend of the bridegroom, who stands and hears him, rejoices greatly because of the bridegroom’s voice. Therefore, this joy of mine is fulfilled. He must increase, but I must decrease.(John 3:27-33)
- What was one truth that spoke to me from today’s online lesson?
Altar (Heart/ Blood/ Worship)– Removing Self-Preservation: Flag/ Tarp
- “Come to me all that are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest. Take my yoke and learn from me, for my yoke is easy and my burden is light” (Matthew 11:28, 29).
- “There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear: because fear has torment. He that fears is not made perfect in love” (1 John 4:18).
- What is one idol I need to lay at the altar today?”
- Any person, place or thing that my soul (mind, will and emotions) turns to for comfort & companionship before Jesus.
- What is one area of fear, or resentment I need to allow the blood of Jesus to TOTALLY cover today?
Laver (Mind/ Water/ Word) – Direction: Lead Rope & Halter/ Reins & Bridle
- “Do not be conformed to this word, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind” (Romans 12:2).
- “For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart” (Hebrews 4:12).
- What is one area that I need to renew my mind in, through dividing soul from spirit today?
- What I want, think and feel from what God wants, thinks and feels- about me, my circumstances and the people and environment around me.
- Spend some time in praise and worship, close your eyes, quiet your soul through fixing your eyes on Jesus and ask the Lord to give you a word, picture or scripture.
- Be still and wait for the first word, phrase, picture or scripture that comes to your mind, while your heart is surrendered and your eyes are FIXED on Jesus.
- Do a word search (e-Sword, Bible Gateway, Google, etc.) and lookup scriptures pertaining to the word, picture or phrase that God gave you.
- Study, memorize and allow the Holy Spirit to apply the scriptures to your life as you go throughout the day.
Table of Showbread (Eyes & Ears/ Perspective/ Assignment)– Accepting the Rider: Weight of an Assignment.
- “Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread” (Matthew 6:10-11).
- “Therefore, I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints, do not cease to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers: that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him, the eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that you may know what is the hope of His calling” (Ephesians 1:15-18).
- “Give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall” (2 Peter 1:10).
- As you spend time at the gate exposing your ears to the gospel “good news” of the kingdom of heaven, spend time at the altar surrendering your heart in true worship and spend time at the laver renewing your mind through scripture, pray that the Holy Spirit would help answer these questions:
- What is my story (Blood/ Altar)?
- What lie do I need to die to?
- What is God’s story (Water/ Laver)?
- What truth/scripturesdo I need to come alive to?
- What is our story together (God and Me) (Oil/ Lamp Stand/ Your Testimony)?
- What ACTION do I need to take in response to Jesus?
Lamp Stand (Feet/ Oil/ Power) – Accepting the Rider: Moving forward to complete an assignment.
- “And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but WAIT for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me. For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence” (Acts 1:4-5).
- “Then John gave this testimony: “I saw the Spirit come down from heaven as a dove and remain on him. And I myself did not know him, but the one who sent me to baptize with water told me, ‘The man on whom you see the Spirit come down and remain is the one who will baptize with the Holy Spirit. (John 1:32-33)”
- “But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth” (Acts 1:8).
- What is the main action (towards God, or towards people) you want me to take in obedience to the calling that you have on my life?
- Examples: Repent, be baptized (water or oil/Spirit), fast and pray, believe & receive, stand and fight, rest, wait and see, serve, leave an area/ go to an area, speak, serve, write, give something, receive something, forgive, ask for forgiveness, abide, teach, preach, sing, heal, encourage, prophecy, evangelize, etc.
- Such a huge part of “coming upon” a horse to ride, or praying for the Holy Spirit to “come upon” us with power, is learning to move your feet after you have been given direction. Pray that the Lord would give you an assignment, then be obedient to move your feet in obedience to the assignment (calling).
Altar of Incense (Soul, Fire, Authority) – 4 Levels of Directed Life: Finding YOUR line, getting pruned and producing fruit.
- “Therefore, hear the parable of the sower:When anyone hears the word of the kingdom, and does not understand it, then the wicked one comes and snatches away what was sown in his heart. This is he who received seed by the wayside. But he who received the seed on stony places, this is he who hears the word and immediately receives it with joy; yet he has no root in himself, but endures only for a while. For when tribulation or persecution arises because of the word, immediately he stumbles (is offended). Now he who received seedamong the thorns is he who hears the word, and the cares of this world and the deceitfulness of riches choke the word, and he becomes unfruitful. But he who received seed on the good ground is he who hears the word and understands it, who indeed bears fruit and produces: some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty” (Matthew 13:18-23).
- Lord, please examine my heart. Which soil does my heart resemble most?
- Stone: Don’t understand the word of the kingdom. Allowed Satan to steal words sown into my heart.
- No Root: Fall apart under tribulation and persecution because of the word.
- Thorns: Word choked out by cares of the world and deceitfulness of riches.
- Good Ground: Hear the word, understand the word and producing fruit.
Ark of the Covenant (Spirit, “Competing from the Holy of Holies”) – Operating in the Training Trifecta: Task Completion, Temperament, Foundation.
- “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power (task completion/gifts of the Spirit) and of love (temperament/fruit of the Spirit) and of a sound mind (foundation/mind of Christ)” (2 Timothy 1:7).
- “I am the vine; you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned. If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, youwill ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you. By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit;so, you will be My disciples” (John 15:5-8).
Within the pattern of the tabernacle, we see the basic requirements for a tree to produce fruit. Gate/Ears (Seed): Hearing the “good news” of the gospel of the kingdom of heaven. Altar/ Heart (Soil): Surrendering our heart to come in line with Jesus. Laver/Mind (Water): Renewing our mind to come in line with Jesus. Table of Showbread/ Eyes and Ears (Roots/ Revelation): Revelation of our new life and identity in Jesus. Lamp Stand/Feet (Growing out of the Ground): Moving our feet in obedience to the word that has been sown in our heart and repeatedly confirmed in scripture. Altar of Incense/Soul (Pruning): Trials and tribulations to test our faith and prune off the selfish ambitions and works of the flesh surrounding the word of God sown in our life. Ark of the Covenant/Spirit (Producing Fruit): Competing from the Holy of Holies. The life and works of Jesus (John 14:12) lived out in and through us, through learning to abide in the vine and as a result producing fruit for the Kingdom (John 15).